- Acura Team Penske gets first win at Mid-Ohio
- No. 6 Acura finishes in top 5 at Long Beach
- Both Acura Team Penske entries retire at Sebring
- Both Team Penske entries finish in the Top 10
- Cameron & JPM To Drive for Acura Team Penske
DANE CAMERON AND ERIC CURRAN ARE ‘CALIFORNIA DREAMING’ OF VICTORY IN THE WHELEN CORVETTE DP IN MONTEREY
MONTEREY, Cali. (22 April 2016) – Dane Cameron and Eric Curran are looking to continue their streak of podium runs as the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship the fourth stop of the season at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The duo currently find themselves second in the championship point standings, following a second place finish at Sebring and a third place result in the most recent event in Long Beach.
Last season, Cameron and Curran were just beginning to jell as co-drivers in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Chevrolet Corvette Daytona Prototype for Action Express Racing. After a full season of competition, the duo and their team have burst into the 2016 campaign as an immediate threat for the championship.
“We had a great first year with Action Express Racing in 2015,” said Curran. “Coming into the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, we had a cohesiveness built, and for the first time in a long time, Dane and I had everything virtually the same as it was the previous season. I think that’s been the biggest factor in our strong start to the season.”
The Whelen Engineering Corvette DP has been on the podium in the last two consecutive events, in 2015, the team didn’t score a podium finish until their breakout win in the Chevrolet Sports Car Classic in Detroit. Those two podium finishes have Cameron and Curran right on the heels of their two-time and defending champion teammates in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Corvette DP.
“The competition in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship is as tough as it’s ever been,” said Cameron. “We’ve got two great teammates that we’re going to have to compete against all season and as we saw at Long Beach, the No. 10 Corvette DP is going to be right there in that fight with us.
“Laguna Seca has always been a home event for me, growing up in Northern California. It was always the race at the end of the season I got to attend with my dad. The Formula Atlantic weekend was always an opportunity to get out and see the champ cars put on a great show. It’s still great to go back because you get to see a lot of the people you grew up karting with and friends you went to school with. This year I’m bringing my wife and kids out again to be part of the event, so it’s really exciting.”
Cameron has two wins at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca; the Northern California native scored his first GRAND AM series victory in 2012, and scored a win in the GTD series in 2014 with Turner Motorsports. Co-driver Eric Curran also boasts four wins around the famous circuit in various classes.
“We had some races last year where we lost points that we would have gained if we executed properly,” said Nelson. “Our approach remains the same as it always has, ‘Expect to Win’, but we’re focused on maximizing our points when we a win is out of reach.”
The Continental Monterey Grand Prix will return to the original race format of two, two-hour races. The first race will consist of the Prototype and GTLM classes, while the second race will feature the Prototype Challenge and GT Daytona classes. The first race gets underway at 11:15 a.m. PT and will be presented live on FOX Sports 1.
- Whelen Scores Second at Road Atlanta
- Whelen takes 2nd at Laguna Seca
- Whelen Takes 4th at Road America
- Whelen Looks to Continue Winning Ways at Road America
- Whelen Returns to Victory Lane in Canada
- AXR Looks to Repeat at CTMP
- Fight to the Finish at Watkins Glen
- Whelen Ready for Sahlen’s Six Hour
- Whelen Engineering Scores Second in Detroit
- Front Row For Action Express Racing in Detroit
- Whelen Looks to Repeat History in Detroit
- Cameron captures TC win at Lime Rock
- Whelen Team Finishes 2nd to Complete Weekend
- Whelen Eng Team Already Looking Forward to COTA
- Action Express Sweeps Podium at Sebring
- The Whelen Eng. Cadillac Seeks Victory at Sebring
- Whelen Roar Before the 24 Preview
- Whelen Racing Team Adds Drivers For Daytona
- Action Express Finalizes 2017 IMSA Plans
- Another Championship for Action Express
- Two on the Podium at COTA
- Cameron & Curran make it two in a row!
- It's Action Express again; Second straight 1-2 finish!
- Ace Accomplishment For Action Express Racing
- AXR Heads to Laguna Seca in search of victory #1
- AXR Powers to a Double Podium at Sebring
- Whelen's Corvette ready for Sebring
- Action Express Takes 6th at Daytona
- AXR Set For 2016 Rolex 24 Following A Successful Roar