- Acura Team Penske gets first win at Mid-Ohio
- No. 6 Acura finishes in top 5 at Long Beach
- Both Acura Team Penske entries retire at Sebring
- Both Team Penske entries finish in the Top 10
- Cameron & JPM To Drive for Acura Team Penske
Qualifying Update: Front Row For Action Express Racing in Detroit
Detroit, Mich. (2 June 2017) - Set to make its 150th and 151st start as a racing team, Action Express Racing is looking forward to Saturday’s green flag for the Chevrolet Sports Car Classic as part of the Detroit Grand Prix (LIVE broadcast on FS2 at 12:30 PM ET).
The team, which has a sterling history that includes victories and pole positions at the downtown Detroit track, will start Saturday’s 100-minute sprint from the front row as Christian Fittipaldi is set to lead the field to the green flag for the third year in a row. Fittipaldi will share the driving duties in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Cadillac DPi-V.R with Joao Barbosa.
The No. 31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac DPi-V.R of Dane Cameron and Eric Curran will start alongside from the front row, with Curran behind the wheel for the first stint of the 100-minute race that will mark Round 5 of the 2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
The team got off to a quick start in Friday’s practice sessions, and was hoping to continue to make progress in qualifying. The 15-minute qualifying session was truncated when the No. 10 Cadillac made contact with the wall, ending the session short of the required green-flag running time. The grid was set by championship point standings, with the No. 10 car relegated to the rear of the field for having caused the red flag.
“It is cool to be starting for the third consecutive year from pole, but today it wasn’t exactly the way I wanted it to be,” admitted Fittipaldi. “I’m happy to be starting at the front but at the same time frustrated the way that it happened because we have an extremely competitive car and were looking strong for qualifying. But I will take it, and tomorrow is what really counts. We will put in our best effort all day and just see where we end up at the end of the race.”
With a podium run at Circuit of the Americas setting the stage for a big weekend for both Action Express Racing entries, the qualifying results have the team well-placed to continue a strong tradition of success on the Belle Isle circuit as the team debuts the Cadillac DPi-V.R on the street circuit for the first time.
“It is too bad that we didn't get to have a full qualifying session because this Whelen Cadillac has been fast all day,” said Curran. “It is great to be here in Detroit, and this is as comfortable as I’ve ever felt on this track-we’ve been quick all day. The Action Express guys are doing a great job and we will just have to work our way forward in the race tomorrow. I’m glad that Ricky (Taylor) is okay after his hit. We know we’ve got a really good car for tomorrow so I’m excited about that.”
Saturday will open with a short warm-up session in the morning, with the race set to go green at 12:40 PM ET (FS2 LIVE broadcast at 12:30 PM ET).
- Whelen Scores Second at Road Atlanta
- Whelen takes 2nd at Laguna Seca
- Whelen Takes 4th at Road America
- Whelen Looks to Continue Winning Ways at Road America
- Whelen Returns to Victory Lane in Canada
- AXR Looks to Repeat at CTMP
- Fight to the Finish at Watkins Glen
- Whelen Ready for Sahlen’s Six Hour
- Whelen Engineering Scores Second in Detroit
- Front Row For Action Express Racing in Detroit
- Whelen Looks to Repeat History in Detroit
- Cameron captures TC win at Lime Rock
- Whelen Team Finishes 2nd to Complete Weekend
- Whelen Eng Team Already Looking Forward to COTA
- Action Express Sweeps Podium at Sebring
- The Whelen Eng. Cadillac Seeks Victory at Sebring
- Whelen Roar Before the 24 Preview
- Whelen Racing Team Adds Drivers For Daytona
- Action Express Finalizes 2017 IMSA Plans
- Another Championship for Action Express
- Two on the Podium at COTA
- Cameron & Curran make it two in a row!
- It's Action Express again; Second straight 1-2 finish!
- Ace Accomplishment For Action Express Racing
- AXR Heads to Laguna Seca in search of victory #1
- AXR Powers to a Double Podium at Sebring
- Whelen's Corvette ready for Sebring
- Action Express Takes 6th at Daytona
- AXR Set For 2016 Rolex 24 Following A Successful Roar